Spectrum Healthcare Resources has an opportunity for a civilian Part Time and an "as needed" Pharmacy Tech to join our clinic in Dumfries, VA in support of Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital.
This position provides pharmacy services in support of patient care and treatment.
- Assist licensed Pharmacists provide medication and other health care products to patients.
- Greets members at front desk, enters information about prescriptions into computer system, and prepares medications for approval by pharmacist. May perform the duties of a Pharmacy Inventory Technician or a Pharmacy Admixture Technician.
- Greets members at counter or over the telephone, verifies member's eligibility status, & receives prescriptions from members for pharmaceuticals.
- Enters prescription information into computer system & prints labels for use by pharmacist.
- Perform routine tasks to help prepare prescribed medication, such as counting tablets, requesting drugs from automated cabinet dispenser, reconstituting medications by mixing with fluids, preparing topical ointments, other drugs by mixing prescribed dosages, and labeling bottles for review by pharmacist.
- Calls members to pick-up completed prescription.
- Identifies situations when patient should speak w/ pharmacist regarding use of drugs & asks pharmacist to speak to member. Asks each patient: “Have you taken this medication before? Do you have any questions regarding your medication?”
- Ensures all Health Care Providers are informed of formulary additions/deletions/out of stock medications, including FDA recalls/warnings.
- May perform administrative duties, such as answering phones, and stocking shelves.
- May receive written prescriptions or requests for prescription refills from patients and also may receive prescriptions sent electronically from the doctor’s office. They must verify that information on the prescription is complete and accurate.
- For prescription preparation, technicians must retrieve, count, pour, weigh, measure, sometimes mix the medication, and prepare labels.
- Establish and maintain patient profiles, stock and take inventory of prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Attempts to resolve patient concerns and refers patient to appropriate authority. Provides requested information and assistance whenever possible.
- Assist with other duties as needed and assigned by pharmacist and Pharmacy Director.